Marshfield resident Bob Cheeseman has done considerable research around Marshfield, Massachusetts, and has compiled this list of cemeteries, markers, monuments, plaques and other items of historical interest that can be found throughout the town.

Bob can be reached by email: Smokeycheeseman@aol.com

Cemeteries
Dedications of things around town
Historical Markers
Monuments
Names of Areas in our Town
Plaques

Researched by: Bob Cheeseman
August 26, 2001
Revised: December 31, 2001

Cemeteries

  • Winslow Cemetery - Off Winslow Cemetery Road
  • Cedar Grove Cemetery - Off Ocean Street (Both Sides)
  • Standish Cemetery - Off School Street & Plain Street
  • Center Cemetery - Off Ferry Street & Grove Street
  • Couch Cemetery - Union Street (Two Mile) (old)
  • Couch Cemetery - Off Union Street (new)
  • Hills Cemetery - Old Main Street
  • Private Cemeteries:
    • Little's & O'Donnell's Cemetery - Off Summer Street
      (across from Cedar Acres Road)
    • Captain Arthur Howland Cemetery - Off South River Street
      (by the Fair Grounds)

Dedications of things around town

  • Korean War Highway - Ocean Street (Route 139, from Route 3A to the Marshfield / Pembroke Line)
  • VFW Esplanade - Ocean Street (From Dyke Road to Island Street)
  • Highway Barn - Parsonage Street (N.E. Williams - Highway Superintendent)
  • Hearing Room #3 Town Hall (Joseph R. Linskey - Selectmen) - 870 Moraine Street
  • VFW Flag Pole (John T. Reynolds - Veteran) - Off Moraine Street (Tea Rock Gardens)
  • Flag Pole Training Field - Ocean Street and Moraine Street
    First installed on the Training Field by the Daughters of the American
    Revolution, Tea Rock Chapter March 14, 1916
  • Vietnam War Island - Union Street & Highland Street
  • Weather Vain on Top of Town Hall - 870 Moraine Street
    1971 Designed by Anne Philbrick Hall
    Peregrine White riding his horse around Marshfield
  • Libraries
    • Seth Ventress - Plaza East off Ocean Street
    • Cliff Rogers - Prospect Street
    • James P. Romeo - High School Forest Street
    • Arlene M. Cantwell - Governor Edward School Regis Road
  • Schools
    • Daniel Webster - Evergreen Drive (Off Ocean Street)
    • Edwin Martinson - Forest Street
    • Edward Winslow - Regis Road
    • Grace Ryder - Main Street
  • Fire Stations
    • Company 1 - Brant Rock
    • Company 2 - Hills
    • Company 3 - Central Station
  • Parks
    • Veterans Memorial Park - Ocean Street and Main Street
    • Wheelers Recreation Park Complex - Off Webster Street
    • Lt. Robert J. Greene Memorial Park/Playground - Off Webster Street in
    • Wheelers Park Complex.
    • Peter Igo Park - Brant Rock Marshall Avenue
    • Marshfield Maze - High School Forest Street
    • Tower Avenue Play Ground - Brant Rock Tower Avenue
    • John F. Nagle Skate Board Park - Marshfield Center
    • Harbor Park - Brant Rock Town Pier Road
    • Hills Play Grounds - Hills Fire Station Old Main Street
  • Benches
    • Louis Campbell - Town Pier, Town Pier Road
    • Lt. Robert J. Greene Memorial Playground - Off Webster Street inside Wheelers
    • Park Complex
    • Ventress Library - To the Community from the Friends of Ventress Library

Historical Markers

County Markers:

  • Marshfield - Ocean Street and Moraine Street
    To Plymouth
    15 M ---------- >
    To Boston
    < ---------- 32 M
  • Marshfield - Summer Street and Prospect Street
    To Plymouth
    < ---------- 20 M
    To Boston
    ---------- > 27 M

Town Markers:

  • 1907 The Old South School - Parsonage Street and Webster Street
    Established August 1645 by Edward Winslow and eleven others,
    On this spot The School House stood from 1642 to 1857
    As a School it existed 212 years
    To commemorate its long and successful History
    This Stone is erected by the Old South School Association
    George Martin Baker - President
    John Henry Bourne - Vice President
    Horatio Baker Spraque - Treasure
    Erastus Edward Williamson - Secretary
    Also 126 other Members Living
    August 1891
  • (1920)
    Winslow House
    Porter Wrights Place
    Phillips House
    Old South School
    Marcia Thomas's Old Post Office C.1650
    Littles Bridge
    Union Street Bridge
  • (1921)
    Historical Society appropriated $ 100 for markers to be placed on:
    Winslow House
    Porter Wright Place
    Phillips House
    Old South School site
    Marcia Thomas's Old Post Office built in 1650
    Little's Bridge
    Union Street Bridge
  • (1928)
    Tea Rock Hill - Moraine Street
    On this Hill in December 1773 the Staunch Whig Jeremiah Lowe Applied the
    Torch and Burned the Tea Confiscated by the Patriots from Public and Private
    Stores in the Town of Marshfield
    Erected by the Tea Rock Chapter D.A.R.
    (August 5,1929)
  • (1928)
    Marshfield - Moraine Street
    Home of Edward Winslow 1636-1646
    Governor of Plymouth Colony
    Home of Daniel Webster 1831-1852
    The Historic Winslow House is Open to Visitors in the Summer Months
    On August 5, 1929 Tea Rock Charter Daughters of the American Revolution
    unveiled a boulder on the land of Mrs. Rosa M. Ames who now owns the hill
    marking the burning of the tea, the boulder is on the State Highway on
    Moraine Street.
    It is of Quincy granite from the quarry that furnished the stone for Bunker
    Hill Monument
  • (1930)
    Training Green Field - Ocean Street and Moraine Street
    Old Marshfield Training Field
    The Old Training Field and Meeting House of the First Parish
    Where Daniel Webster Attended Church
    Home of Daniel Webster
    Home of Governor Edward Winslow House
    Historic Winslow House is Open to Visitors in the Summer Months
  • (1930)
    Marshfield - Webster Street
    Residence of Daniel Webster
    Winslow Cemetery and Webster Tomb
    Site of Meeting House of the First Church
    Above Marker Appears also in three places:
    Plain Street at the Marshfield/Pembroke Line
    Moraine Street at the Marshfield/Duxbury Line
    Main Street at the Marshfield/Scituate Line
  • 1971 Ford Mill (War Memorial) - Main Street
    Site of First Grist Mill in Marshfield, Built by William Ford prior to 1657
    Dunhams Saw Mill
    1814 - 1835 Duxbury and South River Manufacturing Company
  • 1971 Standish - Plain Street and School Street
    Part of a 300 Acre tract of upland with the Meadows there unto belonging
    Originally Granted in 1638 to Myles Standish and John Alden by King Charles
    of England.
  • 1972 Two Mile - Off Union Street
    This strip of land, granted to Scituate in 1640, was two miles in length and
    one mile in width, if it be there to be had. Annexed to Marshfield in 1788
  • 1973 East Marshfield - Hills Cemetery Old Main Street
    Settled C 1650
    Chapel of Ease
    Second Congregation Society of Marshfield
    Est. 1738
    Early District School near Old Main Street and Highland Street
    First Town High Scholl 1688-1895
  • 1973 Littletown - Summer Street
    Settled 1650 by Thomas Little and Anne Warren
    Dall Pilgrim Richard Warren
    Generations of Little Family lived here
    Early District School
    C 1715
  • 1974 Town Hall - Main Street
    1838
    1889 Sold to Judson Ewell and Seth Dame for $ 114
    Hearse House
    1889 Sold to James Rogers for $ 950
    Alms House stood across the Street
  • 1974 Early Canal - Canal Street
    >From Green's Harbor River to Duxbury Bay
    1636 Ordered that the Cutt at Green's Harbor for a boat passage shall be made
    eighteen foote wide and sixe foote deep
  • 1974 Site of White's Ferry - Sea Street and Ferry Street
    1705 to 1839
    Over 40 Vessels were built of 21 to 395 Tons
    Erected by the North River Historical Association
  • 1975 First Church of Marshfield and Bourne Store - Ocean Street and Moraine Street
    Gathered 1632
    1641 First Building at Winslow Cemetery
    1706 First Location on this site
    1838 Present Church Built
    Here the Tory Resolves of the Town of Marshfield were presented January 31,
    1776
    Old Ordinary
    C. 1709
    An early Store, Inn, and Stage Coach Stop.
    December 19, 1773 British Tea stored here was seized by the Patriots and
    burned on Tea Rock Hill
  • 1976 John Bourne House - Ocean Street
    Birthplace of Revolutionary Patriot
    John Bourne
    1759-1859
    Soldier in Continental Army 1775-1781
    At age 16 fought at Bunker Hill with Washington at Valley Forge, one of eight
    survivors at Bunker Hill Monument Dedication
    1843
  • 1976 Col. Anthony Thomas House - 497 Parsonage Street & Moraine Street
    "Home of Revolutionary Patriot Anthony Thomas 1719-1788 Commissioned Colonel
    August 31, 1755 Representative at Boston 1766-1772 Here Patriot Troops
    Assembled to attack British Forces Stationed at the Home of Tory Nathaniel
    Ray Thomas April 20, 1775"
  • 1976 Nathaniel Ray Thomas Estate
  • 1977 The Dike - Dyke Road
    Built 1872
    Widened between Green Harbor and Brant Rock
    Originally a toll road cause of feud between Diker's (Farmers) and Anti Diker's (Fishermen)
  • 1977 Winslow House (Original Site) - Perryn Way
    See New Monument in 1999
  • 1977 Cherry Hill - Off Webster Street (Wheeler's Park)
    Site of Webster's last speech, July 24, 1852
  • 1978 Roger's Store -Old Main Street
    General Store and Inn
    Luther Rogers, Proprietor 1823 - 1848
    Store and House raised August 9, 1823
    Builder, Christopher Oakman
    Timbers Cut at Hatch's Mill, Two Mile
  • 1978 Union Bridge - Union Street
    Bisbee's Ferry 1644
    Later Oakman's Ferry
    Toll Bridge 1801
    Free Bridge 1850
    Rebuilt - 1865, 1900, 1917, after Destruction by Ice 1972
  • 1978 Kenelm Winslow House - 123 Winslow Street
    C1645
    Born Droitwich, England 1599
    Received 100 acre Grant - March 5, 1637
    Brother of Pilgrim Edward Winslow
    Representative to General Court for 8 years
    Died Salem 1672
  • 1979 Zion's Hill - Ferry Street
    Formerly called Tolmans Hill
    Site of Methodist Church, 175 feet east
    Built about 1825
    Second Building 1857
    Razed 1938
    Ferry Street old way to White's Ferry
  • 1979 Brant Rock Village and Brant Rock Union Chapel - Ocean Street
    Brant Rock Village - Named for Brant Geese, Two Island early called Governors
    Island, later Hewitts Island and Branchs Island, together Spectagle Island.
    Land owners John Bradford, Christopher Winter, John Hewitt, and John Branch.
    Site of resorts Hotels Pioner Cottages, 1861 Churchhill, 1866 Brant Tock
    House, 1884 Ocean House, 1875 Fairview, 1897 Peace Haven.
  • Brant Rock Union Chapel - Ocean Street and Dyke Road
    Built C. 1895 by Luther White, Stonework by Foster Ewell
    Sheltered victims 1898 Storm
    Early Mass Humane Society Shelters or Charity House, stood along the beach
    1893 Life Saving Station built easterly of this site.
    1915 Became U.S. Coast Guard Station, Closed 1947, Razed 1967
  • 1980 Ventress Memorial Building - South River Street
    1885 Seth J. Ventress, left $ 10, 000 for a Public Library Building
    1895 Built by Luther White
    1895 - 1933 Library
    1895 - 1923 High School
    1885 - 1970 Town Hall
    1970- School Administration Offices
  • 1980 Centre Marshfield - Ferry Street and Grove Street
    Early Families, White, Stevens, Lewis.
    Here stood Episcopal Church, erected 1745, Church Building removed to
    Marshfield Hills 1826
    1870 - 1939 Rail Road Station, mile West
  • 1980 Great Fire - Ocean Street and Foster Avenue
    April 21, 1941
    Fire started near junction of Plymouth Avenue and Ocean Street
    Fieldston
    Burned to Samoset Avenue
    Ocean Bluff, Destroyed, 446 Houses. 96 Garages, 12 Stores, 2 Hotels, Casino,
    Post Office, and a Church.
  • 1984 Green Harbor Village (William Green and Grace Chapel - Marginal Street
    Named, for William Green
    Who had a fishing station here C. 1623
    Early Named for Marshfield until 1640
    Near this site of Grace Chapel (Unitarian)
    C.1881 - 1960
    In 1898 there were 86 Houses and 2 Hotels
  • 1985 Hewitt's Point (Shipwrecks) - Ocean Street
    1683 Site of Sheep Farm of Christopher Winter, which he willed to his
    daughter, Marha Hewitt.
    Ship Wrecks
    1787 Brig. Minerva
    1852 Brig. Marchus
    1888 Agnas R. Beacon
    1898 Mertis H. Perry
  • 1986 Site of Marshfield Rail Road Station - Plaza East
    1867 Duxbury & Cohasset Rail Road Chartered
    1868 Rail Road Extended to Marshfield
    Marshfield pays 1/3 cost.
    1871 First Train to Marshfield
    1878 Became the New Haven and Hartford Rail Road Stations:
    Marshfield Hills
    Center Marshfield
    Green Harbor
    Seasonal stops Marshfield Fair Grounds
    1882 Daniel Webster Centennial Celebration,
    U.S. President Chester Arthur arrived here in Presidential Car Boarder City,
    10:05 AM Oct. 12, Greeted by 21 cannon salute.
    Horse drawn Barges ran from this station to Brant Rock Hotels.
    1939 Last Train
    1940 Rail Road Tracks Removed
  • 1986 Daniel Webster, Defender of the Constitution - Town Hall 870 Moraine Street
    Defender of the Constitution
    "It is Sir, The People's Constitution, The People's Government made for the
    People. Made by the People and answerable to the People"
    " Liberty and Union now and forever one and inseparable "
    Reply to Senator Robert Hayne
    Jan. 26-27 1830
    200 Th. Anniversary of the U.S. Constitution 1787 - 1987
    Marshfield Historical Commission
  • 1989 Site of East Marshfield (Hills) Rail Road Station - Damon's Point Road
    1871 Duxbury, Cohasset Rail Road
    Extended to Marshfield
    1878 Old Colony Rail Road Co.
    1893 New York, New Haven & Hartford Rail Road
    1939 Last train
    Water for Steam Engines piped from Wales Pond
  • 1989 Green Harbor Railroad Station - Across from 987 Careswell Street
    Webster Place Depot
    1871 Duxbury & Cohasset R.R. Extended to Marshfield
    1878 Became Old Colony R.R
    1893 New York, New Haven & Hartford R.R.
    1939 Last Train
  • 1990 Joyce School - Forest Street and School Street
    Site of Joyce School
    Built Prior to 1838
    One Room District Primary and Grammar School
    Name for the Joyce Family who settled nearby
    1886 School Closed
    Building moved to Hummy Lane (Off Main Street)
  • 1990 Brant Rock School - Dyke Road
    1893 One room District Primary School
    1929 School Closed Building
    Later used by the Police Department and Water Department
    Now leased to the DAV, Chapter 35
  • 1990 North School - Old Main Street
    1838 Two Room District Primary and Grammar School
    1885 - 1895 First Town High School, held here
    1951 School Closed
    1954 Remodeled into Fire Station #2
  • 1990 Sea View Railroad Station - Station Street
    1871 - 1939
    Largest station on the shoreline from Boston to Plymouth
  • 1994 Pilgrim Trail (Green's Harbor Path) - Careswell Street (Route 139)
  • Near this spot ran the Trail used by the First Settlers in Traveling between
    Marshfield and Plymouth.
  • 1994 Pilgrim Trail (Green's Harbor Path) - Ocean Street (Route 139. near
    Bourne House)
  • Near this spot ran the Trail used by the First Settlers in Traveling between
    Marshfield and Plymouth.
  • 1994 Pilgrim Trail (Green's Harbor Path) - Pilgrim Trail
    Ordered by Plymouth Colony Court May 10, 1637
    Formerly an Ancient Indian Trail
    Motor Vehicles Prohibited
  • 1994 Aunt Lizzie - Aunt Lizzie's Lane and Appleton Waye
    The Preservation of Green's Harbor Path was made possible through effort of
    Elizabeth Paulding Eames (Aunt Lizzie) 1847 - 1933
    And the Marshfield Historical Commission
    Respect this Ancient Path across private property.
  • 1994 Pilgrim Trail - Aunt Lizzie's Lane and Appleton Waye
    Green's Harbor Path
    Ordered by Plymouth Colony Court May 10, 1637
    Formerly and Ancient Indian Trail
    Motor Vehicles Prohibited
  • 1994 Pilgrim Trail - Appleton Waye (2 Markers)
    Green's Harbor Path
    Ordered by Plymouth Colony Court May 10, 1637
    Formerly and Ancient Indian Trail
    Motor Vehicles Prohibited
  • 1995 Edward Winslow (Winslow Cemetery) - Winslow Cemetery Road
    Founder of Marshfield
    Edward Winslow, son of Edward Winslow and Magdalene Ollyver, born Droitivich
    England 18 Oct. 1595
    1617 Joined Dissident England Separatists in Leyden, Holland
    Winslow came with Pilgrims on Mayflower 1620 Settled at Plymouth
    Married second wife, Susanna White, 12 May 1621, she died 1680
    Son Josiah Winslow, later Governor of Plymouth Colony, was born 1528
    Daughter Elizabeth, born 1630s
    Edward Winslow served Plymouth Colony as assistant Governor and Governor
    1633, 1636, 1644
    Removed to Marshfield 1636, gathered the First Church and Founded the Town in
    1640.
    1646 Last trip to England, never returned to Marshfield
    Died 8 May 1655, while serving as Commissioner for Oliver Cromwell in
    campaign to seize Spanish West Indies.
    Buried at Sea near Hispaniola
  • 1997 Site of First Church - Winslow Cemetery Road
    1641 - 1657
    Early Town Meeting and School Sessions held here.
    Uninscribed Field Stones mark Oldest Graves
  • 1998 Old Winslow Site (Given by Dr. McLaughlin's Wife Toni) - off Careswell Street
  • 1998 Webster's Law Library - Off The Arborway
    Here stood Daniel Webster Law Library
    Where he kept his Agricultural Library 1832 1852
    Moved to grounds of Isaac Winslow House 1969
    (Webster Street and Careswell Street)
  • 1999 Winslow House (Original Site) - Perryn Way
    This 1+ Acre of Edward Winslow Grant acquired in 1949 by
    Capt. James A. McLaughlin MD U.S.N. 1915 - 1995
    Active in Town History, Ecology, and Politics given in his memory by his wife "Toni"

Monuments

  • Police Department Monument - Ocean Street (Cedar Grove Cemetery)
    Erected in Memory of Deceased Members of the Marshfield Police Department
    Dedicated June 2, 1957
  • Fire Department Monument - Ocean Street (Cedar Grove Cemetery)
    Erected in Memory of Deceased Members of the Marshfield Fire Department
    Dedicated June 18, 1961
  • Fire Department Monument - South River Street (By Flagg Pole) In Memory of Arthur "Beanie" Colamore 1927-1962
  • Korean War Monument - Snow Road at Town Hall
    Front: 1950 Korea 1953
    The Forgotten War
    Cpl. Alfred Lopes Jr. U.S. Army Lt. Ronald R. Ferris U.S. Army
    Missing in Action Killed in Action
    Feb. 13, 1951 May 15, 1953
    In remembrance of those who did not returned and in recognition of those who served
    Back: Korea
    25 June 1950 27 July 1953
    Died 54,246 Wounded 103,284
    MIA 8,177 POW 7,000
    Erected by the Lopes/Ferris Chapter Korean War Veterans
    (July-1990)
  • Veteran's Memorial Park Monument - Ocean Street (Route 139) & Main Street (Route 3A), also Veteran's Brick Program of Veteran Names.
  • Joseph H. Sawyer Monument - Plain Street (Plain Street (Route 139) & Furnace Street)
    Wording on Monument:
    "In Memoriam
    A Distinguished American
    Commander Joseph H. Sawyer U.S.N.R.
    WW-II
    Captured January 1942 Cavite Naval Base
    Liberated February 1945 Bilibid Prison Camp
    Philippines
    "A Victim of Untold Hardships and Brutalities above and beyond the call of Duty"
    1902 - 1959
  • D.A.V. Monument - Captain Lutcher Little's Way
    D.A.V. Monument - Dyke Road
    Chapter 35
    Disabled American Veterans
    In Honor of those who gave their lives - and to those who became disabled in the Service of their Country
    (1981)
  • Civil War Monument - Old Main Street in the Hills Cemetery
    The Town of Marshfield, Honors the Patriotism and Devotion of her sons who fell in the War of 1861 - 1865, and Gratefully Inscribes their Names on this Stone.
    Edmund Crossley
    Job L Ewell
    David Church
    Samuel H. Ewell
    Nathan Sherman
    Joseph Joyce
    Joseph M. Sampson
    Charles H. Corbett
    William C. Oakman Jr.
    Fletcher Webster
    Robert Ames
    Turner Ewell
    James W. Fish
    Andrew W. Hatch
    Freeman A. Ransdell
    Wilbur F. Harrington
    Joseph Stoddard
    Lucius Carver
    Edwin Curtis
    James A. Wright
    Stephan N. Gardner
    Josiah Thomas
    Lucius L. Bonney
    Joseph E. Williamson
    George L. Lapham
    Edwin R. Merry
    Hiram Butterfield
  • Bell - Old Main Street
    Hung in the Bell fray of the Second Church of Marshfield 1738 - 1977
    (1998)
  • WW-II Monument - 870 Moraine Street in Front of Town Hall
    Approved to be built.
  • Coast Guard Monument - 900 Ferry Street
    Approved to be built in 2002.
  • Marshfield High School Complex - (Plain Street (Route 139) & Furnace Street)
    1888 - 1988 A gift of the Marshfield High School Class of 1988
  • Stepping Stone Monument - Ocean Street and Moraine Street Training Green
    1657 - 1920
  • American Revolutionary Monument - Ocean Street and Moraine Street Training Green
    This Tablet is erected by John Adams Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution in Patriotic Remembrance of Daniel Webster 1782-1852, a peerless Constitution Lawyer, a Patriotic American Citizen, I pray to know who is to put beneath my feet a freer soil then that upon which I have stood ever since I have been in Public Life, 1913
  • Veterans Flag Monuments - These are found in the following Cemetery's
    Winslow Cemetery - Off Winslow Cemetery Road
    Cedar Grove Cemetery - Off Ocean Street
    Center Cemetery - Off Ferry and Grove Street
    Couch Cemetery (New) - Off Union Street
    Hills Cemetery - Off Old Main Street
    Wording on the Monument's
    "Dedicated in Memory of Men and Women of Marshfield who served in Defense of our Country
  • The Home of Daniel Webster - Webster Street and Winslow Cemetery Road
    From April 23, 1832 until his Death October 24, 1852
    Lawyer Statesman Orator
    His grave is in the Ancient Cemetery at the northerly side of the estate.
    To commemorate these places events the Boston University Law School Association erects the Tablet
    June 20, 1914
  • Thomas / Webster Estate - The Arborway, Off Webster Street
    1640 The Thomas Family 1832
    1832 Daniel Webster 1852
  • Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior (1993)
  • Winslow House - Careswell Street (Route 139) and Webster Street
    This Boulder marks the house of Governor Edward Winslow
    Born in England 1595 Died at sea 1655
  • This estate was granted to him in 1636 and he gave it the Name of Careswell.
  • The first house was built by him in 1636 and stood S 34 degrees E [True 865 feet from this boulder.
  • His son Governor Josiah Winslow, the first Native Born Governor, afterwards occupied it.
  • The house now standing in 1915 S 59 Degrees W [True] 51 feet was built by his grandson Mr. Isaac Winslow in 1699

Names of Areas in our Town

  • Blueberry Hill Estates - off Main Street
  • Brant Rock Chapel - Ocean Street & Dyke Road
  • C.W. McLaughlin Store & post office - Marginal Street Green Harbor
  • Cut River Estates - off Canal Street
  • Edward Winslow House - Careswell Street Green Harbor
  • Fairbanks Park - Ocean Street Brant Rock
  • First Congregational Church - Ocean Street
  • Grace Chapel & Parsonage - Marginal Street Green Harbor
  • Green Harbor General Store & post office - Marginal Street Green Harbor
  • Life Saving Station - Ocean Street & Dyke Road Brant Rock
  • Marshfield Estates, Section A - off South River Street (Telegraph Hill)
  • Marshfield Estates, Section 1 - off South River Street (Kent Park)
  • Marshfield Estates, Section 2 - off Ferry Street (Silver Pines)
  • Marshfield Estates, Section 3 - off south River Street (Peregrine White's Farm)
  • National Electric Signaling Co. Wireless Station - Blue Fish Cove Brant Rock
  • Oak Ridge Estates - off Forest Street
  • Peregrine White's House - off South River Street
  • Prelude Estates - off Plain Street
  • Saint Ann's Church - Ocean Street Ocean Bluff
  • South Marshfield - Center of Town today
  • South Shore Hospital - Summer Street East Marshfield
  • State Highway Route 139 (Plain, Ocean & Careswell Streets)
  • State Highway Route 3A (Main Street)
  • Sunny Side Park - off Plain Street
  • The Summer Bungalow Colony - off South River Street (Kent Park)
  • Thomas / Webster House - off Webster Street
  • Whitman & Wrights Store - Ocean Street Ocean Bluff
  • Willow Tea House - Willow Street
  • Woodland Hills Estates - off forest Street

Plaques

  • First Meeting House - Winslow Cemetery Road Erected about 1641 A small building with a thatched roof, stood a little North of this enclosure, it was sold when a new Church was built near the site of the present First Congregational Church. Here are to be found the earliest graves of the Town, including that of Governor Josiah Winslow. (1968)
  • WW-I Plaque- Main Street, around the Flag Pole at the VFW Post WW - I VETERAN'S TOWN OF MARSHFIELD, MA 02050
    BACKUS, FOSTER T.
    BACKUS, VICTOR T.
    BAKER, FRANCIS C.
    BAKER, ROBERT L.
    BAKER, RUSSELL D.
    BARTLETT, CARL
    BARTLETT, EDWARD
    BENCORDO, JOHN L.
    BONNEY, WILLIAM F.
    CORBERT, HOWARD E.
    CREED, HAROLD S.
    CROSBY, GOULD M.
    DAMON, E. WINSOR
    DAMON, FRANK W.
    DAMON, GRANVILLE V.
    DAMON, HOWARD B.
    DAMON, LAWRENCE W.
    DELANO, ELLIS R.
    DURLING, CHARLES B
    EAMES, CHARLES E.
    EWELL, E. GILBERT
    EWELL, ELBRIDGE W.
    EWELL, EZRA G.
    EWELL, LAWRENCE W.
    FEINBERG, ABRAHAM S.
    FEINBERG, BERNARD
    FEIMBERG, MORITZ
    FISH, BURTON D
    FLAVELL, JOHN W.
    GARDNER, GEORGE H.
    GATES, JAMES E.
    HAGAR, DONALD C.
    HAGAR, JOSEPH A.
    HALL, ELISHA W.
    HALL, LINCOLN
    HALL, MAURICE A.
    HALL, WINTHROP
    HARLOW, FRANK E.
    HEALY, FRANK T.
    HOBBS, ROBERT L.
    HOWLAND, EARL W.
    KENT, WARREN P.
    KNIGHTS, CLARENCE A
    KNIGHTS, MERRILL H.
    KNIGHTS, WILLARD
    LANE, GUSTAVUS S.
    LANGILLE, CHARLES C.
    LEONARD, ARTHUR C.
    LIBBY, FREDERICK
    MACURDA, PAUL G.
    MAGOUN, ALLEN R.
    MCLAREY, DANIEL
    MORGAN, HOBERT M.
    MORTON, WILLIAM A.
    MOUNCE, HARRY L.
    MOUNCE, LAWRENCE
    NEWDICK, RALPH W.
    NEWTON, EDWARD W.
    OAKMAN, ISREAL H.
    O'DONALD, GERALD W.
    PECK, JAMES A.
    PECK, JOSEPH W.
    PECK, ROBERT E.
    PETERSON, ROY A.
    PETERSON, THORWALD
    PRATT, EARNEST J.
    PRATT, FRED J.
    PRATT, FREDERICK S.
    SAMPSON, EDWIN F.
    SCHATZ, AUGUST
    SIMMONS, BENJAMIN F.
    SIOMMONS, CHARLES W.
    SIMMONS, JOSEPH B.
    SINNOTT, LAWRENCE M.
    SINNOTT, MERLE
    SINNOTT, RICHARD C.
    SLAUNWHITE, OSBORN S.
    SMALL, BYRON
    SMITH, DANIEL J.
    SMITH, LOCKHART J.
    SMITH, RICHARD G.
    SPANG JR., JOSEPH P.
    TAYLOR, ALTON C.
    TILLSON, HAROLD A.
    WENTWORTH, HOWARD T.
    WHITE, ALONZO B.
    WHITE, CARL F.
    WILSON, FRED O.
    WITHERELL, FRANK L.
  • Korean War Plaque (Lopes / Ferris) - Forest Street in the High School
  • Korean and Vietnam Veterans Plaque - Off Webster Street in Wheelers Park Complex
    We dedicate these Fields to the Men of the Korean and Vietnam Conflict who served and died in the service of their Country
    May - 1972
  • Citizen of the Year Plaque - 870 Moraine Street in the Town Hall
  • Persian Gulf War Plaque - 870 Moraine Street in the Town Hall
  • Deputy Chief Clifford L. Hunt Memorial Plaque - Fire Station 60 South River Street (1973)
  • Richard W. Patch Memorial Plaque - Fire Station 60 South River Street
  • John J. Cheesman Jr. Plaque - Governor Edward Winslow School Regis Road
  • Balloon Plaque - Town Hall
    1978 Ben Abruzzo and Maxie Anderson (Balloonist) took off from Wheelers Sand Pit on Main Street to cross the Atlantic Ocean.
  • 1970
    Marshfield Town Hall - 870 Moraine Street
    Board of Selectmen: Russell W. Chandler, Joseph R. Linskey, Edward L. Reese.
    Building Committee: Robert C. Sheldon, Chair., George E. Williams Jr., Co.
    Chair. William M. Gilbert Jr., James L. Davis, William McConnell, Freeman Damon.
    Architects: Architects II Marshfield, Mass.
    Contractor: Magnanti Construction Co. Inc. Weston, Ma.
    The Land for Town Hall was donated to the Town of Marshfield, by Curtlo Reality Trust.
    Trustees: Thomas E. Curtis, Richard D. Curtis, David J. Curtis
  • Peregrine White Weather Vane - 870 Moraine Street
    The Unusual Weather Vane which adorns our Town Hall was Designed By Anne Philbrick Hall.
    Uniquely appropriate for Pilgrim Marshfield, it represents Peregrine White astride his horse, on a southeast wind this native- born settler rides, as the old, to visit his Mother at the Winslow House, while a northerly wind carries him back to his home by the South River
    Marshfield Historical Commission
    (1971)
  • Plymouth County Madd (2) Plaques - Police Station Ocean Street
    Honors
    Officer Of The Year
    Town of Marshfield
    Police Department
    1989 Robert W. Foulsham
    1990 George P. Davis
    1991 Robert P. Quigley Jr
    1992 Robert P. Quigley Jr
    1993 Donna M. Corbett
    1994 None
    1995 Steven Marcolini
    1996 Phillip Tavares
    1997 Michael Dimeo
    1998 John Callahan
    1999 Jason Abell
    2000 Michael McDonough
    2001 Paul Taber
  • Mothers against Drunk Driving
  • Ventress Library Building Committee - Plaza East Off Ocean Street and Webster Street
  • Ventress Memorial Library
    January 7, 1984
    Ventress Memorial Library Building Committee
    Richard V. Rapacz, Chairman
    Alfred W. Almeida
    Judith Burchell
    Phillis M. Dane
    Jean G. Dobbons
    Sheila Gagon
    Edward A. Hines, Chairman Construction Subcommittee
    Jean W. Horan
    George P. Howes
    Catherine M. Hunt
    Frank M. Hynes
    Richard E. Levin
    Harold A. MacDoonald
    Richard A. Martinez
    James F. Mullen, Town Engineer
    Conrad D. Nobili
    James P. O'Grara
    Christine D. Ralton
    Kathy Sullivan, Chairman Planning Subcommittee
    Ruth M. Sullivan
    John W. Tilly
    Ventress Memorial Library Board of Trustees
    Alfred W, Almeida, Chairman
    Sandra G. Courchesne
    Jenne W. Horan
    John Kaczorowski Jr.
    Richard A. Martiez
    Jeanne Ryer
    Library Director
    Dennis R. Corcoran
    Board of Selectmen
    Richard E. Levin, Chairman
    Sheila L. Gagnon
    James E. Robinson
    Architects
    DiNisco, Kretsch, and Associates Inc.
    Huygen and DiMella Inc.
  • Contractor
    Eastern Contractors Inc.
    Ventress Memorial Library Development Fund - Plaza East Off Ocean Street and Webster Street
  • Development Fund
    Donald C. Hagar, Honorary Chairman
    Katherine Wolff, General Chairman
    Steering Committee
    Lawrence C. Anastasi
    Timothy Buckeridge
    Dennis R. Corcoran
    David S. Cutler
    William W. Drury
    Donald C. Hagar
    Richard A. Hall
    Paul W. Kaufman
    Robert J. Kennedy
    Burton M. Sack
    William W. Drury Pacesetter Gifts, Chairman
    Eugene Vercollone Special Gifts, Chairman
    Paul W. Kaufman, Business, Professional Gifts, Chairman
    Jeanne W. Horan Community Gifts, Chairman
  • Friends of Ventress Memorial Library
    Building Trust
    In Grateful Appreciation
  • Rand-Handy Oil Co. Inc.
    Michael, Carol, Jamie and Sarah Halloran
    The Horans - Tim, Jeanne, Jen, Tim, Jessica
    In Memory of Brian H. Gaughan by the Efward J. Gaughan Family
    F. Lee Bailey
    The Robert Marzelli Family
    Ruth and Daniel Sullivan
    The David T. Gregory Family
    The James H. Bartley Family
    Christian, Ben and Marc Carcio
    Mr. And Mrs. Fred Merchant
    In Loving Memory of Susan L. Sack - Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence C. Anastasi
    The Norwin W. Wolff Family
    In Memory of Maurice A. Hall by the Hall Family
    The Martinez Family-Richard A. and Rosemary Martinez
    The Road House Classic
    In Memory of Edward Rowe Snow donated by his Family
    The William J. McConnell Family
    Biagini, Inc.
    In Honor of Allison and Meghan by David and Suzanne McQueeney
    In Memory of Denise Constance Donohue by Gregory and Constance Donohue
    Heather and Frank Hynes
    The Howes Family
    Gloria and Arthur Ayre
    Massachusetts Cultural Council
    Friends of the Vetress Memorial Library
    North River Arts Society
    Mike Sleeper
    Robert Swanson
    D'Angelo's Supermartkets, Inc.
    Curtlo Reality Trust
    In Memory of William Ralton by the V.M.L, Trustees
    Edris Kelley
    In Memory of William Clark Drury
    In Memory of Walton and Edna Hall by Edna Hall Chamberlain
    In Memory of John Ford, Edward C. Ford, Mary T. Ford, Weltea Ford Stark
    North Community Church
    Gift of the Vercollone Family
  • Friends of the Ventress Memorial Building Trust
    Benefactors:
    Donald and Edith Hagar
    Rockland Trust Co.
    John V. Smoragiewicz Family
    Sponsors:
    Mr. and Mrs. Walter Frye Jr.
    Gary, Robert and Helen Elizabeth Levin
    Lincoln Trust Co.
    Mariner Newspapers
    Marshfield Newcomers Club
    Marshfield Rotary Club
    Myles Standish Federal Credit Union
    Plymouth Five Cent Saving Bank
    Rockland Credit Union
    In Memory of Susan L. Sack by her husband and son
    Patrons:
    Baybank Norfolk County Trust Co.
    Allen and Judith Burchell
    Tad, Druanne and Elizabeth N. Gagnon
    Jack Heneghan
    Richard and Eleanor Hoehn
    Dr. and Mrs. Stephen J. Kane
    George E. and Helen L.Keeler
    Suzanne S. Klay
    Levin and Liven, Attorneys at Law
    James and Joan McArthur
    Paul Joseph Maguire, Sr.
    Jack and Peg Malley
    C.H. Marsh Insurance Agency, Inc.
    Barbara L. and William J. McKinnon
    The Payton Family-E.F. and R.M. Payton
    Helen L. Peterson
    Mr. and Mrs. Norman Platt and Family
    Samson and Delilah Unisex Salon
    David and Valerie Smith
    Donald R. and Donna L. Smith
    South Shore Auto Parts. Inc.
    Mr. and Mrs. John H. Spurr
    Lawrence E. Vienneau, DMD
    Kevin J. and Paula J. Walsh
  • Marshfield Newcomers Club
    This Plaque is a gift of Marshfield Newcomers Club whose vision and benevolence aided in the Community effort to construct this new library in 1983
    The Donors listed below are perpetuating this generosity.
  • The Ming Dynasty
  • MA Municipal Association
    Packard Memorial Innovation Award
    1983
    In Memory of Susan L. Stack
    Whose inspiration and vision served as a catalyst in marking this facility a realty
  • Main Post Office Building - 111 Snow Road
    Unites States Postal Service
    U.S. Mail
    This building dedicated to service 1976
    Gerald R. Ford
    President of the United States
    Benjamin F. Bailer
    Postmaster General
  • Hours of Service
    Window Service
    Mon.-Fri. 8:30 AM to 5 PM
    Sat. 8:30 AM to 12 Noon
    Sun. & Holidays - Closed
  • Box Lobby
    Mon.-Fri. 6:30 AM to 6 PM
    Sat. 6:30 AM to 3 PM
    Sun. & Holidays - Closed
    Note: Mail deposited after the last schedule dispatch time will be postmarked the following day.


Return to: The Marshfield Home Page